Occupying a 9.5-acre site, Exton Elementary School opened in 1941 as the West Whiteland Consolidated School, making it the oldest building in the district. At a cost of approximately $60,000, the school was constructed to replace four one-room schools that were in operation at that time. The exterior of the building was covered with rough stone, much of which came from the surrounding ground. The interior housed students from grades one through eight and included five classrooms, a combined assembly and playroom, and a kitchenette.
In 1950, grades seven and eight were moved from the school into the junior high in West Chester Borough as part of the jointure agreement. An addition that provided six classrooms, faculty rooms, a storage room and an enlarged kitchen facility was added in 1954. Another nine classrooms and a multi-purpose room were added in 1958. The school was renamed Exton Elementary School in 1962 with the opening of Mary C. Howse Elementary.
A major renovation to increase the capacity of the school was completed in 1994. The renovations included a new cafeteria, 6 new classrooms, a new art room, renovated classrooms and carpeting.
Exton Elementary School students attend Fugett Middle and East High Schools.