Even after two major additions to the West Whiteland Consolidated School (now Exton Elementary School), the West Whiteland Township found it still needed more classroom space. The result was the construction of Mary C. Howse Elementary School located on 13.5 acres on Boot Road that the West Whiteland School Board acquired for $15,000. Construction cost $475,000.
Born in 1892, Mary Chase Howse served 16 years as a member of the West Whiteland School Board starting in 1945 and was instrumental in establishing a library at the Exton Elementary School. She came from a family with a long history in the area and raised a family in the large family estate that sat where Exton Square Mall is located today. She died in 1981 in Exton.
The original structure contained ten classrooms, two kindergarten rooms, a library, cafetorium, health suite, offices, and teachers’ room. When the Mary C. Howse opened its doors in 1962, the township renamed West Whiteland Consolidated School, Exton Elementary School. A major expansion in 1965 added twelve classrooms and a covered play area. In 1997, a library, gymnasium and two classrooms were added and the existing building was completely renovated with the old library being converted into two classrooms.
Mary C. Howse Elementary was recognized as a Blue Ribbon School three times. Students from this school attend Peirce Middle School and Henderson High School.