Career Education Schoology Pages:
WCASD High School Career Education Grades 11&12: Access Code K6TB-2PM2-X9BGD
WCASD High School Career Education: Grades 9 & 10: Access Code 3JCJ-8HWV-ZWNNT
Each fall the counselors meet with the freshman class to acquaint them with their upcoming years at Henderson. This contact will occur over several days in classroom size groups in Henderson’s computer labs. Instruction centers around the use of Naviance, an online career planning program that the WCASD purchased for college and career bound students. Using the 'About Me' section, freshmen will begin goal setting, resume building, and a 4 year plan that they will update and expand on each year. Areas covered include:
- Courses section- a tentative and flexible outline of students’ courses for the next 3 years as it relates to their future goals. This area specifically covers graduation requirements, course sequences, and course selection procedures.
- 'Success Plan' and 'Interesting Things About Me' sections – Students will record their interests, activities, and future educational and personal goals.
- Grade Point Average and Rank and their relationship to future goals.
In late winter the counselors meet with the sophomore class to focus on career exploration. This contact will occur in classroom size groups in Henderson’s computer labs using Naviance, an online career planning program that the WCASD purchased for college and career bound students. In the sophomore year, instruction centers around updating information in the Courses section and focusing on Naviance’s Career section. Students will take career interest and abilities inventories and explore career clusters also based on activities, personal qualities, and school subjects. The program can be further utilized to access information on careers related to apprenticeships, military occupations, college majors, technical schools, and 2 and 4-year colleges.
JUNIORS AND SENIORS:
Using Naviance, counselors will work with juniors (Winter) and seniors (Fall) on the following:
- Updating their Courses section, Goals, Resume and Success Plan
- College searches using a variety of resources
- Financial Aid
- The college application process
- SAT/ACT prep
- Career planning for college and non-college bound students
Students may use Naviance in the library or the computer lab during study hall, lunch, after school or at home.