Fern Hill Elementary School opened its doors to students in March 1957. Originally accommodating students from the Oak Hill, North Hills and Green Hill areas of West Goshen, the school was constructed to ease overcrowding at Paoli Pike Elementary (now Spellman Administration). David Morgan served as head teacher from the opening until 1959 when he was appointed Fern Hill's first principal.
Fern Hill occupies 20 acres that was purchased in August 1955 for $20,000 from Mr. and Mrs. Martin Lorgus. The original building contained twelve classrooms, a cafetorium, health room, and office space. Total cost was about $450,000 and student capacity was 360, although only 275 students made the move from Paoli Pike to Lincoln Avenue. Joseph W. Worrell, Jr. was the West Goshen School Board president during construction.
Fern Hill reached capacity quickly, necessitating the addition of ten classrooms in 1961. The last major addition, which included additions to the cafeteria, new art, music, health, library, and administration areas, and a small group instruction room, was completed in 1989.
The Fern Hill Elementary student enrollment splits between Fugett/East and Peirce/Henderson for secondary grades.