The West Chester Area School District has a tradition of offering high-quality extra- curricular programs for its students. In this time of budget challenges, our goal is to continue that tradition. However, it is our belief that the growing costs associated with these activities should be offset to some extent by student participants and their families.
The activity fee is designed to be as fair and equitable as possible. As a result, fees are set at levels that will not discourage participation, within a structure that represents underlying costs and the fee policies of surrounding districts , while also taking into account other support provided by booster organizations.
A fee charged to supplement the expenses associated with providing extracurricular opportunities for students.
Funded Activities & Sports:
Extracurricular activities and interscholastic athletics that are supported by paid coaches or advisors.
Family Fee Cap:
A maximum limit placed on the amount of fees a family has to pay to participate in funded activities/sports in all district schools in a school year. In the WCASD, the family cap is $250.
Funded activities that involve students performing a service to the school or the student body. Examples of service activities include but are not limited to: Safety Patrol (elementary), Yearbook (middle and high school), Student Government (middle and high school), class officers (9-12) and National Honor Society.
ACTIVITY FEE GUIDELINES
The collection of a yearly activity fee is communicated to parents through summer mailings, and further reinforced by coaches, advisors and directors. Activity fees are collected each school year for funded activities/sports, or the fee for sports may be collected after final cuts for teams are announced. Once a student has participated in a funded activity/sport, no refund of an activity fee is permitted. Participation in funded activities/sports is optional.
Tier One - Elementary School Students Grades 3-5
- Families of elementary students in grades 3-5 are assessed a $27.00 activity fee per student, per year, which allows the student to participate in one or multiple elementary-funded activities.
Tier Two - Middle School Students
- Families of middle school students will be assessed an $82.00 activity fee per student, per year, which allows the student to participate in one or multiple funded activities and/or sports.
Tier Three - High School Students
- Families of high school students will be assessed a $109.00 activity fee per student, per year, which allows the student to participate in one or multiple funded activities and/or sports.
Exceptions and Fee Limitations:
- Family Fee Cap - The maximum amount a family may pay yearly in activity fees is $250.00.
- Free and Reduced Lunch Students - Students who qualify for the national Free and Reduced Lunch Program are not required to pay activity fees.
- Activity Fee Waiver Application - Families experiencing financial hardships may apply for financial assistance through the Office of the Assistant Superintendent.
- Service Activities - Participation in a service activity does not require an activity fee.
The activity fee is collected annually and, if you choose to participate in a funded activity, please pay by using the online payment method, PaySchoolsCentral. Be sure to select the Activity Fee option. Additional payment information is available on our Activity Fee website.